Website The CARIAN Group
CARIAN is a certified WBE/SBE/DBE Professional Services firm, providing Management, Consulting, Advisory, and Technology Solutions to leading Fortune 500 businesses.
Senior Estimator – Civil/Mechanical (Hybrid)
CARIAN is growing! We are a proud, woman-owned management consulting firm providing program/project management, capital project delivery, consulting, and technology solutions to our customers in the renewable energy, power utilities, infrastructure, and transit/transportation sectors.
Positions at CARIAN are full-time roles, which include comprehensive and competitive benefits (medical, dental, and vision), 401(k) matching, and the opportunity to work with a growing company.
We are looking for a Senior Civil & Mechanical Estimator with estimating experience with large capital projects that should include experience developing estimates for civil and mechanical structures related to substations, electric transmission & distribution, and electrical components such as transformers, switchgears and other heavy electrical equipment to join our New Jersey team.
- Prepare detailed and high-level cost estimates for electric transmission, distribution and substation projects.
- Prepare conceptual cost estimates from one-line diagrams and general arrangement drawings.
- Analyze drawings and perform take-offs to prepare detailed labor, materials and equipment estimates.
- Develop detailed bid estimates, evaluations and analysis to assist in the performance of contractor reviews.
- Prepare cost estimate reports as requested by management.
- Communicate with project management and internal stakeholders on proposed changes and adjustments to cost estimates.
- Establish a mechanism to continuously update cost and man-hour databases.
- Collects, analyzes and archives project estimate and cost data. Develops historical documentation.
- Assess estimate accuracy by tracking actuals against the project cost estimate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction, or a Business Discipline
- 10+ years of experience as an Civil and Mechanical Estimator preferably with experience estimating for utility projects.
- Civil and Mechanical estimating experience with large capital projects should include experience developing estimates for substations, electric transmission & distribution, and electrical components such as transformers, switchgears and other heavy electrical equipment.
- Experience developing estimates for all project phases including conceptual, preliminary, and detailed design as well as construction.
- In-depth understanding of estimating industry best practices and developing estimates aligned with industry-accepted estimating principles.
- Experience in using industry-standard estimating tools for developing labor, material and equipment estimates.
- Experience in working with project stakeholders including vendors, contractors, designers, construction and project managers in developing cost estimates.
- Experience in presenting, defending and vetting cost estimates to project stakeholders, owners/clients.
- Expertise in working with RS Means, CSI, Estimating Tools and Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with estimating EV infrastructure is a plus.
- A minimum of 5 years of project management experience
- Knowledge of Work and Cost Breakdown Structures
- Understanding of conceptual and detailed design estimating
- Demonstrated understanding of labor, material and equipment cost estimating
- Must possess demonstrated leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to perform assigned work proficiently
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with external constituent groups and customers
- Must be a self-starter capable of seeking out project related information from Project Stakeholders
- Must be customer focused and encourages teamwork
- Ability to interpret electric system one line diagrams and general arrangement drawings
- Interpret and understand project requirements
- Must have effective problem-solving and decision-making skills, strong planning and organizing skills, must be adaptable and results-oriented.
- Ability to work in a team climate whereby team members are able to discuss relevant issues freely and where there is a strong emphasis on continuous improvement, questioning the value of every activity and creating better solutions
- Must have strong written and verbal communications skills
- This position requires driving to company locations and off-site assignments and events; applicants must possess a valid driver’s license with a safe and satisfactory driver history
CARIAN takes pride in being an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, citizenship, gender expression or identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local legally protected class.
As a WBE/SBE/DBE, CARIAN is committed to providing employment opportunities to women, veterans, and underrepresented minorities.
To apply for this job please visit thecariangroup.clearcompany.com.